Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pumpkin Curry Soup

This week I made Pumpkin Curry Soup as a celebration of fall. Basically I wanted to have a pumpkin soup that tastes good available to me (I had a bad experience with a different pumpkin soup when I was very young). Seeing how real pumpkins in the states are basically only used as decorations I feel they can be better used. This recipe has a savory and slightly spicy flavor to it.

Pumpkin curry soup
see you can eat them.


Ingredients:
1/2 medium pumpkin cubed with the skin, seeds, and "guts" removed (the slimy feeling insides)
4 Jalapeno peppers
1/2 red onion
2 sausages (I used a homemade sausage)
2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 TBSP curry powder (I used a homemade orange curry blend [red and yellow with some oregano thrown in])
4 cups water
Optional mini pumpkins used for bowls.


Instructions:
cube pumpkin after removing seeds and "guts"
Boil pumpkin for 15-20 minutes until tender (here you have a choice of either blending the pumpkin to make a smoother soup or mashing the pumpkin  for a chunkier soup)
While the pumpkin is boiling Chop the onion and jalapenos (after removing the seeds and membranes from the peppers to reduce the amount of heat from the peppers [if you want it hotter keep the membranes and don't forget to wear gloves])
saute onion and Jalapeno peppers for 5 minutes over medium heat remove let rest
slice sausage into bite-size pieces and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat
add in the onion and Jalapenos to the sausage along with the olive oil saute for an additional 3 minutes
add the Sausage , onion, and jalapeno mixture to the (blended or mashed) pumpkin
add in the curry powder
simmer for 20 minutes
serve in mini pumpkins

Suggestions:
for extra flavor use chicken stock instead of water
for more color add in red bell peppers

I was not in my kitchen so this took a while

some pumpkin in the pot

Boiling hot

The membrane is the very light green stuff that the seeds are connected to

I first added the onion because I wanted a slight texture change between the two
Sausage cooking away

Everything is in place 

cleaning and cutting these was harder than the large pumpkin


Soup is on


No comments:

Post a Comment